Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tech g33k

Warning: geek talk.

Lately I've been into geek mode. I've rooted and flashed a custom ROM to my cellie. Those who don't know what "root" and "custom ROM" are, this is Android talk. Rooting= Apple's "jailbreak".

Rooting gives you full access and control of functions that were not available in the normal factory phone that you first got when you bought your phone.

Custom ROM: your phone is equipped with a "stock ROM", which is what you have from the factory. A custom is made from developers and they provide different ROMs for different purposes on the phone, depending on what you want and like, you can choose whatever you want. A custom ROM have better features (e.g. longer battery life, "better" user interference, etc.) than the original stock ROM.

Anyway, not gonna go further into this geek talk, but basically it's like hacking your phone, going outside of the manufacturer's works in order to customize, fix and trix, enhance stuff, etc. THAT'S WHY I LOVE ANDROID! And by the way, this is totally legal.

So YEAHHH, I've been flashing (installing) Cyanogen 11 (CM11) custom ROM and am now running Android 4.4 KitKat, even though my phone model never got an official update from Android, they stopped releasing updates after Jelly Bean 4.3.

Untz untz. At first I flashed a nightly ROM, which was a pain in the arse! So I switched to a snapshot and this one is way more stable, which is exactly what it should provide. But it's missing a month's of updates, I don't know, nor haven't seen anyone knowing about this month's update of the snapshot, so I'm running on the Oct. ROM.




E.g. this pic above, can you normally have this big of a pattern lock? Nah, didn't think so. Thanks to custom ROMs you can have it.



No comments:

Post a Comment